Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #11

Tuner for 1990 E150 w/ 5.0 l

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Have you considered a tuner? These guys have a great reputation as far as I know and have specific tunes for the vans.

https://5startuning.com/product-cate...ries-4-6l5-4l/

Other mods might be beneficial, but I’d stick to the basics like exhaust and a better flowing air filter or intake if there’s one that fits. Several articles and forum posts point to people adding on some bits and parts like the MAF sensor from the Ford Lightning for some gains too…..but IDK if I’d start down that path.
I am looking for a tuner for my 1990 5 L. E 150. Any help would be appreciated.

Rexhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexhess View Post
I am looking for a tuner for my 1990 5 L. E 150. Any help would be appreciated.
I doubt anyone will have a specific tune for your van but considering the aftermarket for the fox body mustang with the 5.0 is strong you might be able to modify something to work. ECU weren't very smart back then so standard improve the air and exhaust will likely net you better gains than a chip. A child's toy these days has more processing ability than a 1990 efi engine computer
Try bamaperformance to start
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #13

Back to the 5.4L….

Before forced induction, keep in mind that a cat-back exhaust, tuner, and lower gears GREATLY improves performance, and at the same time increases reliability. The lower gears keep the transmission locked more, and reduces low-speed torque converter slip. The tuner will allow it to shift less often, and with higher line pressures which reduces planetary-clutch slip.

Forced induction is a whole other level…. which would probably necessitate and built transmission and probably a bigger rear diff. And at that point…. a new cutaway chassis body swap might make more $ sense. Then you get way more power stock from the new 7.3L, which the aftermarket has latched into onto for even more power upgrades.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #14

carringb, Thank you very much. Spoke with John, at Quadvan, he recommended the very same thing, checking into the option now. Thank you everyone for all your help. Joe
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #15

5.4 exhaust manifolds

Hello again,

One more question, anyone discover 5.4 upgraded exhaust manifolds that work, let's say Mustang, maybe? No headers to be found.

The tuner is happening for sure.
Cat back exhaust is completed.
411's installed, full floating rear axel also.

Thank you everyone for all your help with this build.
Joe Futrmbl
Old 09-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #16

Have them custom made
Old 09-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #17

HI Simplesez, checked into them being made, have to meet Cal. smog requirements. No builders found yet. Thank you very much. Joe
Old 09-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrmbl View Post
HI Simplesez, checked into them being made, have to meet Cal. smog requirements. No builders found yet. Thank you very much. Joe
And you expect to find a turbo or supercharger kit that meets CA requirements? Earth to Joe....you are in fantasy land again.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #19

This might be fun if you manage to make everything fit and work properly. But i think everyone is overlooking the most important aspect of a supercharged engine. That would be the strength of the internal engine components.

Ford has never just thrown a supercharger on an otherwise stock engine. I had a 2003 Mustng Cobra which comes from the factory with a 32 valve 4.6 litre supercharged engine. It used a forged crankshaft and high strength Manley connecting rods, Forged pistons, etc...

A positive displacement supercharger such as a whipple or kenny bell are creating maximum boost the minute you smash the gas pedal. A turbo on the otherhand relies on the volume and speed of the exhaust gases to create maximum boost.

Then consider the weight of your van versus the weight of a car. This is also going to cause excelerated wear and tear on an otherwise stock lower end in the engine. I dont see a stock 2V engine holding up long term with a supercharger in a heavy truck. I could be wrong, but for the money it will cost to make it work... not something i would do.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #20

My thought on most important issue is heat management before even testing engine strength. A supercharger generates a lot of heat and the van has little room to dissipate that heat. Got intercooler, heat exhanger and pump space? Doubtful. Again this stuff is aftermarket dream world. Swap a powerstoke in your van Joe. Did you ever get the 4*4 sorted? I remember some questions on that a few years ago.