Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #11

Garage
I think I need to pull the van apart and start making a plan. Thanks for the ideas!

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #12

We always just grab comfortably high up on the front passenger seat/shoulder belt with the right hand as a solid anchor to help step up unto the front E350 side cargo door area,... keeps it simple and seems to work just fine.
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #13

To solve this same problem, I put a flat plate (with one strap slot and one bolt hole) on the same attachment bolt as the seat belt. I then ran a nylon strap through the slot and then through a ~4 inch tubular steel handle, and tied it off. This forms a movable handle that is easy to reach when standing in the doorway. It's easy to reach up and grab it to pull yourself up and in, or to lower yourself out.

To keep it from rattling, I put a round, countersunk supermagnet on the B pillar right where the steel handle hangs. DONE!
RoamFarNWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #14

My van has no interior trim since it was a cargo model. I needed to add some interior door pulls, I stole this idea off a sprinter I saw online. They were using it for a b pillar grab handle. It’s extra cool if you ride a KTM [emoji16]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1693.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	32492
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #15

Garage
I made a handle from a piece of stainless steel pipe and bolted it to the door--I was able to get inside the door to attach the nuts. Helps when getting in and closing the door once you are inside.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0402201417.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	32493

Click image for larger version

Name:	0402201418.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	32494
maptester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #16

Garage
Or on the metal to the left of the window?
Old 04-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #17

Garage
We decided on a hammock strap attached above the side and rear door to help with entry.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The hammock strap has loops about every 6-inches that provide hand grips for people of varying heights + abilities.
The strap currently hangs as seen in the pictures and we can always wrap it out of the way if needed.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamFarNWide View Post
To solve this same problem, I put a flat plate (with one strap slot and one bolt hole) on the same attachment bolt as the seat belt. I then ran a nylon strap through the slot and then through a ~4 inch tubular steel handle, and tied it off. This forms a movable handle that is easy to reach when standing in the doorway. It's easy to reach up and grab it to pull yourself up and in, or to lower yourself out.

To keep it from rattling, I put a round, countersunk supermagnet on the B pillar right where the steel handle hangs. DONE!
Sounds very interesting (& sturdy) RoamFarNWide, and I believe I have the correct mental picture of how you accomplished this - would you consider posting an actual picture of your set up to satisfy my curiosity?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #19

We used a Jeep roll bar handle mounted above the door.
Attached Thumbnails
48B7C4A0-267C-4C65-ADE2-BACBE662794F.jpg  
Roamoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #20

As SteveC suggested, I also think they were factory options. I have considered a looped strap in the past. You could easily install one on the door jamb frame. It would be out of site from the interior in the door frame when it is closed or it can be installed on the B pillar, a passenger seat base frame floor or the seat base mount on a bolt. It could also be mounted to the back of the seat as is in the pic SteveC posted. Here are two options:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...SABEgIm7vD_BwE

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...gQIDRBx&adurl=

You can't beat either one for the price!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote