Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Garage
E-Series side cargo door grab handle?

I am wanting to install a grab handle to the B-Piller for the side cargo door entry. I am trying to avoid grabbing the passenger seat for getting in or out of the van.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

Garage
The previous owner had a factory grab bar installed on the back of the passenger seat. It has been 19 years and still going strong. The seat is mounted on a swivel and so far, nothing seems to have been harmed by using it to assist in getting into or out of the van. Just a possible option...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5214-2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Ditto. My pax seat also has that grab bar, VERY well used (almost at 478,000 miles) and zero problems with it.

I just looked at mine, and I don't see a way to install one into the B-pillar itself, unless the audio and power lock wiring and courtesy light switch were removed. Those take up all the flat spots on the edge, and the inside is taken up by the seatbelt. It was just never designed for it, unlike the Transit, which offers those bars in certain markets, so all of them have the mounts.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the input! I also had that seat mounted handle on my last van and totally forgot about it. My current van has aftermarket scheel-mann seats, so I am trying to find a way to avoid mounting something to it. But I may have to anyway. Thanks again.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #5

That’s a great solution and I don’t have one on my factory seats in my 2013 e350 - presumably the seat frame would have all the necessary internals to simply install one if I ordered the handle from Ford?
Farmbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #6

Garage
I'm looking for a grab handle here too. But we usually have our front passenger seat swiveled around when we're camping...

Getting old sucks!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmbro View Post
That’s a great solution and I don’t have one on my factory seats in my 2013 e350 - presumably the seat frame would have all the necessary internals to simply install one if I ordered the handle from Ford?
I originally thought the handle was a factory part, but a fellow member posted this link and I think they may be what I have? As far as bolting to a 2013, I'm not sure - maybe someone with more knowledge of such things can chime in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-GRAY...72.m2749.l2649
Old 03-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #8

Seeing this, I went out to my van and looked but there isn't really anywhere to mount a handle on the B pillar. I did look at the window frame on the front swing out side door and thought that one could attach a handle between the window and the end of the door. Looks like there would be room there when the door is closed and would make a good grab point when the door is open. Maybe???
Old 03-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #9

Garage
I went back to look at my photos, and here is a shot of the internal structure in that area. It looks like it could be screwed on right below the shoulder belt mount.
Attached Thumbnails
009.jpg  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
I went back to look at my photos, and here is a shot of the internal structure in that area. It looks like it could be screwed on right below the shoulder belt mount.
That area on both sides is substantial enough to accommodate a grab handle--I'd prefer a Plus-Nut rather than simple sheet metal screws though. You'd also want to be super careful as some OEM wiring is ran though that channel.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote