Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #1511

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm
Went to install the pop out windows after painting. The window hardware for 2 windows are missing. Went over to the paint shop to retrieve them and was informed that all my original hardware was returned. Now I need to purchase the hardware from somewhere....any help is appreciated.
Well, that's a bummer. I don't think any of those parts are available new from Ford, so you'll probably have to try to source them at a junkyard.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7train
I stripped the entire interior out to convert to to RB50 floor plan, and ordered the sound deadening stuff to do the front cab, and will add a driver's swivel base.

c7 - What "sound deadening stuff" did you end up using?
Thanks

Phil
SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #1513
Site Team

Garage

To help those get to the todo list.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry

That's great. Nice find.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #1515
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry

That's great. Nice find.
I was waiting for the creep part but glad it didn't go that way.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #1516

The GPS that I installed in our SMB in February 2009 (http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=13&t=2616) started having some minor problems so I decided to replace it with a new/larger model. I choose a Garmin nuvi 2798 LMT which has a 7" screen and wireless backup camera (the backup camera I installed back in 2009 was still okay but requires a separate monitor while the Garmin unit uses the same monitor for both units). I also wanted a unit with built-in Bluetooth since I don't have a hands-free smartphone unit in the SMB.

I installed them both a week or two ago and was able to use them on a trip to the Mammoth Lakes area last week. I really like the new GPS...larger screen, speed limit as well as current speed, and the name of the next street that you are approaching (which included forest service roads). (I wasn't able to check if routes could be plotted on the forest service roads or not but they were shown on the maps.) Voice commands are a nice feature as well as previous routes are shown in blue. Our very first GPS has a similar feature called "cookie crumbs" which showed how you got to where you were driving...especially nice as a way to make sure you can get back out when off-roading.

One "field" on the display was selectable between compass direction, elevation, or time of day. I usually chose the latter since the clock on the radio/CD player is hard to see in the daytime but changed it to elevation at times since I like to know the elevation where I'm driving. I was able to check that in a few places (our driveway, which showed the elevation within a couple of feet of the actual elevation) and at Tioga Pass where it was within 30-40 feet of the actual elevation.)

I was amazed at how quickly the new GPS acquired the satellite signals...on our previous Garmin GPS, it could take 15 minutes to acquire enough satellites to show our position if the van hadn't been driven in a week or so and several minutes if it had been driven the day before. This new unit will acquire enough satellite signals to show our location by the time I put the van in gear!

One frustration with the installation is that the power cable is also the antenna and it is too short to reach from near the inside rear view mirror, along the overhead console above the front window and down the pillar panel to space under the dash. Instead, I had to extend 12v+ power and a ground up the pillar panel and solder on a female lighter socket inside the overhead console. The power cable/antenna now takes up most of the space on the driver's side of the overhead console. (You can't cut off the cigarette adapter since it is also a power transformer. It might be possible to cut the power cable near the male lighter adapter and splice in more two-wire conductor but the cable is also the internal antenna. If anyone has done this, let me know.)

Several years ago we talked about wireless backup cameras and, as I recall, most reported problems with them such as poor reception. So, when I ordered our GPS/wireless camera package, I included a 50-foot extension cable for the camera. The camera connects to a transmitter via the a cable which then sends the signal wirelessly to the GPS. This extension cable let me move the transmitter from the rear of the van to the forward end of the storage tray which is on the driver's side of our SMB (EB-50) above the sink and refrigerator. That put the transmitter about 4' from the GPS...the signal on the monitor is thus as good as possible.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #1517

This weekend drop down to my folks place and slept out in front of their one bedroom apartment. It's small and the SMB is more comfy for sleeping with a 6" topper.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #1518

Punctured an almost brand new tire right through the sidewall
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #1519

Many little things and standard maintenance, but this might be novel:

Installed an automotive relay, wired to latch open with a momentary switch, into the "driver door open" signal line that goes into the "key in ignition" or "lights on" chime. The result is that I can step out of the van (with the engine running, I seem to do this frequently on tight trails) and cancel the chime for that time only. Closing the door resets it.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #1520

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

"Raptor Lined" the Penthouse and Roof and installed a new PH Seal.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote