Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Re: Swiss van for the time in the US: Version 1

Finally here is some news about my project and the first steps.

The plan was to pick up the van, register it, find the materials needed convert it but that was to simple...

As the van has been sitting for some time, the batteries where down and after charging them, had to go on Monday to a Ford dealer to clear the engine light... once connected the computer showed a EGR valve problem... they replaced it with the upgraded one including a grid.
Got the van back on Tuesday drove during the day and the check light came again added to the dash lights blinking as a better x-mas tree...
Wednesday morning went back to the dealer and they had to change a part activating the vanes in the turbo, to solve the flashing lights a dimmer switch was ordered.
While diving Wednesday the engine light came on again but didn't get to the dealer as I am 100 mile away now.

Registering the van was also a pleasure... first checked by phone how to do when a tourist with no US driver license, they said not easy lots of paper work to do. Decided to go directly to a DMV office to check and they said no problem.
Got an insurance that accepts a tourist and went back to the DMV and was out in 5 minutes all done.

With some delay, I went to look for the material that I could use for my build.
Before heading to the work shop where I arrived Wednesday afternoon..

I started to explore the van, measure it and see how much material I need to build my plans.

Next step buy it and start to works if the Ford garage let's me have it... some more repair to do

AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote