Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #71

Garage
Upholstery:

-Finally made it to the long awaited step of upholstery! Since this was my first time doing any upholstery kind of stuff I used a lot of references online, but one of the best that I have found was a blog and youtube channel from a person named Ken who runs ourkaravan.com. He has great videos and blog posts about his sprinter van build and I would highly recommend anyone who is looking for resources to check him out.

-I figured I would start with what I thought were the most forgiving areas being the rear doors. For the doors and window boxes, we are using Atlantis Marine vinyl color “Storm” from allvinylfabrics.com. The first step in the process was to trace out the door panel on the ⅛” foam. After getting it traced out (just for reference on where to spray the glue) I flipped the wooden door panel over and sprayed it with weldwood glue. After the panel had a layer of glue I went back to the foam and added a layer of glue. Then carefully lined up the two pieces using my marker line as reference. After pressing it down firmly I used a razor blade to cut off the excess as I wasn't wrapping the foam around the edges. I then repeated the same process for the vinyl step. After wrapping the edges and cutting out my bolt holes I reinstalled it in the van.

-I repeated the process for the next rear door with even greater success.

-Each panel I did I got a little better and a little faster. I continued with the same process for the remaining two side doors. Pretty happy with how these turned out.

-Next up on the list were the window boxes. We decided to not do any foam on these as they were already a very tight fit. We decided to go with the vinyl since they will be exposed to the outside air and have more likelihood to get exposed to more condensation. I took the idea of folding the fabric over itself to create a cleaner look from Ken from ourkaravan. I also left the inside corners long so I could cut it up around the windows so I wouldn't see any of the sound deadening between the rounded corner of the window and the square corner of the window box.

-After the window boxes were done I started on the first real wall panel. We went with the Marathon Tweed fabric in Grey Heather that we bought from perfectfit.com. I used the same exact process as I did for the door panels for wall panels and started with my small rear panel on the driver side After getting them all wrapped I used a torch to heat up a screwdriver and push it through all my bolt holes. This melted the fabric around the hole which should help it from possibly unraveling at those points. After it was done I got it installed in the van.

-I repeated the process on the main driver side panel. Since this was the first time I did this kind of thing I am not super happy with how the backside of my panel turned out, but I guess at the end of the day no one will probably ever see it. After getting it all done it was back into the van for a fitment check to ensure my ⅛” reveals that I left between the panels was adequate. It fit like a glove!

It's not Pretty But it works!

-One thing to note about this panel is I buried all my wires back in the wall for now since I wasn't exactly sure where the cabinets would land and I didn’t want the outlets and wire pass-throughs to end up in a weird spot. I figured since I am planning on using faceplates for all of those things It wouldn’t be too hard to cut them out after the fact and hide any flaws behind a trim ring. This might prove to be a bad idea, but I am hoping that is not the case.

-Next up I repeated the process for the passenger side panel. Back when I cut my wall panel I had decided to run the panel all the way to the door frame which meant I needed to deal with the small bump out in the van body to the rear of the side doors and the return panel that needed to die back into the van body. If you look back in the thread you can see how I did that. Now that I am finished with that area I think my plan worked pretty well. I ran the foam and fabric over the bump out which left me with only a minimal bump in the finished wall. I also wrapped the fabric and foam all the way around the return panel as one continuous piece and I think it turned out pretty good!

-After the wall panels I started on the transition pieces. I decided to only do foam on the downslope and bottom face of these pieces to make sure it didn't change the mounting surface for the ceiling panel. I used the same process and added extra foam in a few areas to help fill any gaps that I had. After getting the foam glued up I checked fitment before going to the fabric.

-Now that is where I am as of now! Pretty happy with how it's coming together so far. I am hoping to bust out the rest of the panels in the next few days and try to get going on some of the initial cabinet construction and the final electrical within the next week.

aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #72

Nice work, looking good.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #73

Garage
You should be very proud of that. Solid work and you know every nook and cranny now.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:06 AM   #74

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Nice work, looking good.

-greg
Thanks, Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
You should be very proud of that. Solid work and you know every nook and cranny now.
Thank you! I am pretty stoked with how it's all coming together and certainly will know exactly what is going on everywhere in the van.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #75

Looks killer! Nice work. Word of caution, I originally filled those rearmost pillars behind the taillights in my van with thinsulate too, first drive I took at night with the lights on and my IPCW LED taillights melted the thinsulate they were touching and stunk up the van. I ended up cutting out a chunk of the insulation to give the lights some breathing room. Not sure if that'll be an issue with the OEM incandescent lights or not.
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #76

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike View Post
Looks killer! Nice work. Word of caution, I originally filled those rearmost pillars behind the taillights in my van with thinsulate too, first drive I took at night with the lights on and my IPCW LED taillights melted the thinsulate they were touching and stunk up the van. I ended up cutting out a chunk of the insulation to give the lights some breathing room. Not sure if that'll be an issue with the OEM incandescent lights or not.
Thanks for the compliments and the warning about the thinsulate! I will for sure have to do a few tests to see if I am having any issues with the OEM-style taillights.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #77

Nice work!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #78

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Nice work!

Thank you!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #79

Garage
Upholstery Update:

-After getting more used to the fabric and the process of it all I went back to the rear walls and added my foam and fabric there. In a few areas, I doubled up in foam to try to even it all out and then used a 3M 90 and 3M 77 to get everything glued up and set.

-Then I started on the ceiling panel. I followed the same process as the rest but did decide to do the entire ceiling as one piece hiding the panel seam under the foam and fabric. So far I am happy with the results. In between all of these panels I pulled the lights apart and painted the trim ring black just so it would match with the rest of the theme of the interior.

-After getting the ceiling done I moved onto my “Control Center”. This piece I was feeling a little more nervous about since it has multiple planes in one piece but figured I would figure it out as I went. So I started off with the foam and then a test fit to make sure it was fitting right. I added some extra foam on the rear edge to help fill a small void and then it was fitting nicely.

-I decided to break the piece up into two pieces, one being the underside and the other being the face. This allowed me to deal with each plane as separate pieces. I started with the face panel where I cut a fabric piece that had a small overhang to the underside.

-Next, I cut a strip of fabric and rolled the edge of one side, and glued it back to itself to create a pleated seam (I have no idea what I am talking about so this may be all the wrong). I used this edge to create a clean “sewn seam” look along the edge. This was then glued to the underside of the “control center”

-Last step before installing it was to cut out openings for the flush mount track light, light switches, BMV, and inverter controller.

-Then I moved onto the front headliner. This was another odd-shaped piece that I was worried I would screw up. For this piece, I used 3M Yellow SuperTrim adhesive since it was going down on the existing headliner foam and I had seen that this was the best glue for this situation. Anyways I just took my time and with the help from my wife we were able to get it nice and straight and maintain all the curves of the headliner.

-After getting the headliner done I moved to the front storage shelf. I decided to do the same Bedliner process for the shelf that I did on the door boxes and then followed the normal steps for upholstery.

Forgot to get any other pictures of the rest of the steps.

-After getting all the parts in I then added my window box blinds. I had designed the window boxes so they should recess the shades pretty well when not in use. Once I add my trim ring there should be no exposed edge to the blind making them a pretty much complete black-out shade.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #80

Garage
Upholstery Update:
-And like that the upholstery was done... at least I hope so! I got some pictures and then took it down some forest roads for a shake and rattle test.

-So far I am very impressed with how secure and quiet everything is. The only sound my wife and I can identify is a slight noise from the window shrouds when going over rougher roads. I think I have seen some threads about how to help with that on here, so that will be a project for another day.

Tags
build, build thread, homemade, homemadesmb