Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #291
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
...Help us Obi Wan Carringb...you're our only hope.
"This is not the engine swap you are looking for"

I couldn't resist the cheesy misquote, but actually I have no idea if it would work.

Herb

Old 06-14-2016, 03:14 AM   #292
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWooginator View Post
I wonder how easy that 5.4 and trans would slide into my old 2wd 99 F150.....
I believe this engine was standard equipment in that year F-Series. Should be a direct swap but just the long block; sensors etc from the '99 F150 would remain from the original engine.

Transmission not so much as the '99 PCM's strategies wouldn't recognize the 4R75E.

FWIW anyone whose worked on any variation of an E-Series engine-wise fully appreciate the body-off concept---too bad Ford never made a "tilt body" van. Hinged at the rear, cable release like the hood and instant room galore.

(Completely facetious but yet one still ponders the what if................)
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #293

I can't remember which year they switched to the 3 valve heads and the drive-by-wire throttle... I was thinking 04 ish. It'd be a cool project, but it's outside the realm of mere mortals like myself. Probably easier to do the harness and PCM with the powertrain so everything jives? Fun to ponder the possibilities... old Betsy could use a fresh set of cylinders haha.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #294
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWooginator View Post
I can't remember which year they switched to the 3 valve heads and the drive-by-wire throttle... I was thinking 04 ish. It'd be a cool project, but it's outside the realm of mere mortals like myself. Probably easier to do the harness and PCM with the powertrain so everything jives? Fun to ponder the possibilities... old Betsy could use a fresh set of cylinders haha.
Ford E-Series vans never received the 3-valve heads---this remains true for all E-Series gasoline engines.

I do agree fly-by-wire throttle control came on about '04.

For these reasons the 5.4 (as a long block) offered up should be compatible across all years of the E-Series vans from at least '97 to EOL.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #295

Didn't know the vans never got the 3-valve heads. Interesting, albeit irrelevant though as I'm referring to my 99 F-150. Have almost 200k on the original 5.4 and tranny at this point.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:02 AM   #296
JWA

My '00 E250 just topped 278K miles will original 5.4 and 4R70W transmission----both are still running very strong. With proper maintenance both will last quite a bit longer, some hitting over 350K with no issues.

Physically the van 5.4 will fit your F150 without a problem.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #297

wooginator - the engine swap is possible but probably not worth the extra work, since low mile triton motors are so cheap. The oil pans, front cover, and throttle bodies are different e to f series. Controls and emissions are completely different between those years, and the newer transmission is Can-bus controlled with a full electronic throttle body. Internal mechanicals are mostly the same however so it could work, but again would be lots of effort when a good junkyard option runs ~$400

And JWA is right.... No reason a triton won't go 1,000,000 with proper care.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #298

I didn't think I'd have any time to myself on Father's day but caught a break and headed out to the shop for some work...

BAM! Old engine is out! Now I have a starting point for the engine install. I have to rebuild some of the cross member that Quadvan cut away because I'll need the extra structure for the engine mounts. That's the next task now that I have access.

By the end of the week I should have my custom bellhousing adapter ring (at the machine shop now) and that means the Cummins/Allison/NV273 can be bolted together as a final assembly very soon.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #299

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #300

Productive day of frame preparation. At this point everything that was installed by Quadvan is now gone. I had to cut out some welds of theirs and once everything was off, I'm left with this...

In my opinion, that's way more cutting than is necessary for a 4x4 conversion. I have a bunch of work to do now to rebuild the cross member to hold up to the Cummins and 1000 ft-lbs. Since I have the CAD model of the frame, I'm going to cut a bunch of pieces that fit the cross member perfectly and then weld it all back together.

Started on the 55 gallon tank install today too. I had to get the old cross members cut out of the frame first though.

The new front cross member I designed was relatively easy to get into place so it's now mounted and the lift pump fits into it's spot protected by the rear axle and the tank.

The rear will take a little bit more work because CAD model I have isn't exactly the same as my frame. I have to shorten the parts I had laser'd or start over with the design.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote