Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #81

Re: How did you hear about Sportsmobile Forum?

stumbled on to it after many ggogle searches for sports mobile

TXSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #82

newbie here... wife and I have been thinking about a SMB and found the forum through internet search... alot of great info here. Will be lurking and searching for a bit but in the market...
hawkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #83

Some friends have a 2wd SMB, but it always seemed too... refined. My brother had an E-150 RB for years. He called it the COW - Cave On Wheels - as it was only slightly upgraded from bare cargo. He upgraded to a 2003 E-350 EB 7.3 with Quadvan 4wd, bare cargo, then began working out the interior. Floor, insulated/upholstered walls, 2 more capain's chairs, bench, etc. With 4wd, and a little more open space inside, a van seemed to make more sense. We borrowed it a couple of times, and I was hooked.

My bro pointed me to the forum, and I began lurking, signed up to see photos, and then ended up buying a 2002 E-350 EB 7.3 Q4wd in July. I found it here on the forum.

Since buying the van, I've added a hitch-mounted bike rack, installed a 3rd captain's chair, added a ladder, modified the cross-bars, and done a few other things - and paid the local Ford dealer to replace the HPOP (uggh). The forum has been a fantastic resource, and it saved me $50 on the ladder order. Looking forward to many future adventures and to swapping information here on the SMB Forum.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #84

found you the forum in a link on the Quigley site... have had my '96 Quigley E350 7.3L PSD Cargo for almost a year... beginning to get the itch to "improve" it... :-) have new wheels and tires - currently running 265 75 r16's "new" ones are 315 75 r16 (may have to mod some sheet metal to make them fit or downsize a bit to 295's?) PO installed full length running boards... will likely need to clip the ends and reshape the 'mudflap' portion of these 'boards... they sure do making climbing in and out nicer... even if they do look a bit less than purposeful... also have recently acquired new front seats (brand new intended for a tractor trailer - yeah baby, air-ride seats!) rear is completely empty... need to install sound deadener (makes the diesel very memorable! - and makes talking on the cell phone in the convertible w/ the top down seem to make sense!) and after silenced, begin to convert to useable space for seating and family camping...
'96 Quigley 4x4 E350 7.3L PSD - former SWAT vehicle, '97 F350 7.3L PSD 2WD Duallie, '01 Excursion 7.3L PSD, '75 CJ5 232 I-6 35x12.5's mild mods, '93 Trooper 3.2L w/ 33's, '80 450 SLC, '98 328i 'vert, 74 NSU 1200C, '69 Beetle 'vert, '67 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Recreative Max IV 6x6, etc etc...
pgerblonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #85

ok, i goofed.. got the later model pattern ford wheels (rats!) looking into adapting to see if it will be cheaper than trying to find someone to sell my late model 8 lug pattern 16x10 Eagle Alloys to, and then try to find some other similar wheels with the (correct for my '96 quigley'd van) 8 on 6.5 pattern....

any suggestions? things to try, thing to avoid? places i shoulda posted this instead of here?
'96 Quigley 4x4 E350 7.3L PSD - former SWAT vehicle, '97 F350 7.3L PSD 2WD Duallie, '01 Excursion 7.3L PSD, '75 CJ5 232 I-6 35x12.5's mild mods, '93 Trooper 3.2L w/ 33's, '80 450 SLC, '98 328i 'vert, 74 NSU 1200C, '69 Beetle 'vert, '67 Karmann Ghia Coupe, Recreative Max IV 6x6, etc etc...
pgerblonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #86

You could always upgrade the van to a 2009 Quigley, then your rims would fit.

As for where, the 4x4 or van body sections would be appropriate... or campfire if you just want to crab.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #87

Hi all, a newbie here. I found this site through Google and although not a true SMB'er I have a nice vintage 1995 GMC Vandura 3500 Quigley conversion. This 4x4 started life with the LA county service department tending to remote transmission towers judging by all the RF warning stickers inside. It has a 126" WB and easily accommodates two for "escape pod" camping. I bought the van after it had been auctioned at around 109K miles. The rear is stripped with a cargo screen and thick rubber floor mat, presumably for hauling all the transmission repair gear around. Since it's a 1-ton unit the axles are rugged, with 14-bolt GM positrac rear (4.10 ratio), Dana 60 front on leaf springs (spring over) and 6" lift. The transfer case is a Borg Warner 4401 with the overdrive THM 4L80E transmission. Motor is the ubiquitous 350 TBI V8. It has the heavy-duty towing package with large radiator and additional coolers for the engine and transmission oil. I have serviced most components myself and the van's in good shape after being maintained by the county service department. I had the driveline rebuilt by Mark at Coastal Driveline in Ventura (great service) as the universals and front slip yoke were rather tired, maybe due to steep angles from the lift. The van runs smoothly and is a very comfortable highway vehicle. I replaced the aged tires with Nitto Dura Grappler LT245/75R16E's. We have also done some gnarly off roading in the San Rafael and Sierra backcountry. One minor annoyance is an intermittent ABS light that is probably dirty front wheel sensors. A common early GM problem and I wish I could ditch the ABS entirely. The wheel sensors are a pain to get to so I'll have them looked at when Mark pulls the rotors to service the front wheel bearings. Another issue is an occasional main bearing rap after a cold start but I hear most Chevy 350's do this after a while. Oil pressure is still good. Only other hassle to date is finding new seat belts as the original retractors don't work anymore. Naturally a discontinued part and the GMC dealer wants two hours labor time to fit new belts! Finally I found some classic 3-point belts at WESCO and I'll put them in myself - maybe 10 minutes tops. My only dealing with Quigley has been to order new front bump stops, that are a Ford item. Some complain here about little travel to the stops and mine run only 2". I've bottomed out the frame on the front U-shackle bolts occasionally. New Monroe shocks (front #34799, rear #34783) helped a little. Well, enough rambling for now, we just love our Mr. Quigley who exudes great character and charm. Finally a vehicle I can crawl about underneath with plenty of room to work on simple, old-school components. Here's a photo in the Santa Barbara back country:
rokrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #88
Site Team

Hey rokrover, I'll second your endorsement of Mark over at Coast Driveline. He's done some work for me on my Bronco, and the parts shop has always had every part in stock that I've ever needed.

Herb
Old 11-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #89

Ahhhhh nice to see more GM equipment Sweet lookin' Van you have there, welcome
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #90

Thanks, Saabman I'm told the GM conversions were not common so it's nice to have a rare Quigley. The other day I saw an '88 (or thereabouts) Chevy K2500 van in town. The owner said it came from the factory as a 4x4 so GM must have put out a few back in the day.
rokrover is offline   Reply With Quote