Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Thanks for the reply LilNuts2! Good to know they're smell free----its not the smell that's my issue rather its the possible accumulation of fuel vapors inside the van.

But I do wonder how one finds fuel without any ethanol content---I've never had to be aware of finding such a thing.

Another issue with converting to propane is Honda has told me they don't recommend it and it does void the warranty. That sucks but I guess I see their point. I sent an email to Hitch Mountain asking about this--will wait for their reply.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #12

JWA if you can't smell fuel, there is no fuel vapors to smell

Ethanol free fuel is often called rec fuel or rec90. Google it near you. marinas sell it for boats, but you'll pay more there. We have 2- 25 gallon tanks in our toyhauler, I fill them with rec90 whenever I can and use it for all motors except our daily drivers.

It's a Honda you don't need a warranty, I have never heard of anyone having problems with that model genny. Except if you leave crappy ethanol blended fuel in them and it plugs up the carb, A real bitch to clean out.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

Any fear or concern the gasoline will deteriorate if its not used within a certain time frame? I'm sure most gasoline in my area has some ethanol content and sadly I rarely search for or seek ethanol-free fuel.
That's part of the reason they live in the garage when they aren't in the van. But keeping the fuel tanks full reduces breakdown (moisture in the air is the real culprit, especially in conjunction with ethanol), but I do burn off the fuel in the carb.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #14

JWA, I can offer yet another vote for a Honda 2000/2200. I've had mine for 10 or more years. I consider it a lifetime tool. It is a true Honda product in the historical sense of the word. One and done. Buy it and forget about it.

There is NO smell when fuel is turned off.

On ethanol free fuel, there was an iphone app for it awhile back showing where to find it in your area. I have about 3-4 stations in my small town. Buy it and use it in all of your small engines. My regimen for my generator, all mowers, weed eaters and chainsaws is ethanol free fuel with Seafoam mixed in. I do not have carb with anything anymore.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #15
JWA

Good gravy I'm sooooooooo glad I posted this question here guys---y'all are amazing!

I'm showing my complete lack of knowledge re: small engines and you're educating me at a great pace---thanks for that. I have learned a lot about generators, Honda always being first and only on my list should I acquire one.

Since they can be converted to run on propane is another aspect in their favor, I'm sure they're not the only brand where that's possible but it doesn't have me shopping for lower costs.

I will call the recommended Honda dealer Hutch Mountain recommends to check on their position regarding warranty and propane operation--Honda says it voids the warranty. That has to be worked out before I go that route.

Honda's reputation is well known and I'm okay believing a warranty isn't needed however if something does go wrong I want to avoid a claim being denied due something I've done.

Thanks again guys---really, really appreciate the input!
Old 07-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #16

Website listing ethanol free fuels https://www.pure-gas.org/

Just to split hairs on fuel, not all ethanol free is equal. Here in The Springs the local Maverick truck stop sells e-free but 87 and not top tier fuel (cheaper) I usually go to Chief Petroleum which their fuel is from VP Racing and 91 octane (about a dollar more per gallon than regular 87 gas).

Since I moved to Colorado 10 years ago I only use ethanol free fuel in everything except the driven everyday wife's car. I haven't rebuilt a carburetor in years. Also, I have the Yamaha eqivelant to the Honda and as long as I shut off the fuel while running letting it empty the carb bowel and close the vent never any smell.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #17
JWA

Great information Eric aka ShuttlePilot!

I will look into the ethanol-free fuel and where they're sold here in bucolic Reynoldsburg, Ohio. Thanks for the link!!
Old 07-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #18

https://trufuel50.com/

This is what I run in my seldom-used small engines. Available from Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc. Not cheap, but I haven’t had to tear into a small engine carburetor since I started using it.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
We haul 2 Honda 2000 genny's in the back of our toy hauler and they never smell. Always if you can, use only non ethanol blended fuel, your carb will love you large.
How does one go about sourcing non-ethanol gas? I live in the Bay Area, and I often do see stickers claiming that the gas has some ethanol in it. If no sticker, shall I assume no ethanol?
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #20
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
https://trufuel50.com/

This is what I run in my seldom-used small engines. Amazon, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc. Not cheap, but I haven’t had to tear into a small engine carburetor since I started using it.
Another interesting thing to know----since I don't see Honda listed as one of the brands Trufuel is suited for which formula would I choose?