Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #41

Well that will shut down this discussion for me. My original post had been directly on this issue and then learned something SMB West had not told me.

Thedee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #42

Got a call yesterday telling me that since i had placed my order for a new SMB classic 4x4 that none of this would effect me and that they were still on approximately the same time line (18 mo)as when i placed my order in may. Also got a follow up e-mail today from Allen telling me the same thing. So i guess i am glad i got in line when i did......
sconlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedee29 View Post
All, I'm looking for some opinions. I've got a 2020 Transit AWD build in the pipeline at SMB west but the van has still not been built by Ford yet. It was due in production in early April at Ford. At this point would you continue with the SMB West build or wait until next June. I haven't talked to them yet so have no idea what warranty work going forward past 2021 looks like. In other words, are there negatives with sticking with my original SMB build. Thanks

Thedee29's original post was related. It was asking whether the forum thought SMB would still conduct warranty work after the transition. It veered a bit into Transits, but I don't think the warranty question was commented on by anyone.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #44

I wonder if this change will bring about any improvements in "SMB Cali's" quality. Seems most of the SMB customers having the best success were going through TX, not CA. But does SMB TX also use MDF for their cabinet construction?

Also curious why SMB IP didn't renew with Cali. Did something go wrong? Or maybe SMB CA chose to not pay any fees to be part of the official SMB enterprise?
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk216v View Post
I wonder if this change will bring about any improvements in "SMB Cali's" quality. Seems most of the SMB customers having the best success were going through TX, not CA. But does SMB TX also use MDF for their cabinet construction?
I believe Sportsmobile has been using corelight for the last 10 years. Look it up on the Forum. It is not MDF but still susceptible on surface layer from water intrusion at cut edges but not like MDF. Apologies for topic d#003399
our 06/08 is corelite
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #46

Like mk216v says, I do not think the name was an issue, SMB West was the reputation they created. The head/owner was very arrogant. Just by changing your name does not mean the service will improve! Why people support or out up with such behavior is ? Every post I have read here spoke well of the other locations being of better or greater service, the only complaints I read were about Fresno, so maybe SMB asked them to disconnect from them??? Just an observation, please correct me if I am mistaken?
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #47

I have been dealing with Sportsmobile Fresno since 2008 when we bought a pre-owned 2004 through them. We had it back to go from the manual top to electric top, and again a couple years ago when (somehow) a pack rat got in and chewed wires in the ceiling. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and workmanship in our dealings with them.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #48
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Every post I have read here spoke well of the other locations being of better or greater service, the only complaints I read were about Fresno, so maybe SMB asked them to disconnect from them??? Just an observation, please correct me if I am mistaken?

Not comparing each SMB location, but I have no complaints about SMBW and have always received better service than any car dealership. The staff are great folks IMO. I'm guessing here, but each outlet has a different work load and the businesses seem sized accordingly. If the SMB West delivers more builds per year, I'd expect they would have more fit and finish issues with new orders which seems to be what most complaints are about. I don't have a clue why West split off but I doubt it was a quality or service issue.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Not comparing each SMB location, but I have no complaints about SMBW and have always received better service than any car dealership. The staff are great folks IMO.
Agreed. We had our E350 converted in 2016. There were some followup workmanship issues for which we returned the van on two occasions, which they took responsibility for and fixed to our satisfaction. Peter Del Toro in the Service Dept. has been responsive and helpful with other questions that I have had since.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #50

Too many complaints is enough for me. I know there are those that just can't be lpeased believe me I get it. Unfortunately after watching a video of the West owner and his arrogance after seeing all the complaints was enough for me not to want to deal with him. I have spoken to the Colorado Camper vans and received totally different vibes. In fact we got off subject about 4x4's and rock crawling, very approachable, IMOP. I am sure they are not perfect but arrogance does not seem to be one of them.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote