Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2022, 04:48 AM   #8

Greg, you are brilliant at this stuff and I’m trying to keep up. I hope you have the patience for some lame questions -

So the start isolation feature
What is the “start isolation feature”?

is predominantly used if you have electronics that can't handle the surges or voltage spikes that may be seen when starting they vehicle on the house side. It wouldn't hurt to hook it up but for the most part not needed.

If you don't have solar or were just plugged in ,the ACR would already be disconnected, and wouldn't connect until minimally 30 seconds after the voltage comes up on the alternator. If you have solar (and available sun), chances are that the two systems are already connected, so the isolate would disconnect during the start phase. So if you have solar might be worth it adding.

I do have a 100-amp solar panel on the roof (DIY) connected directly to the Lifeline AGM house battery through a controller. Sorry, it might be worth adding what?

Fortunately if going from the Surepower 1315, the wire that is used for their start assist feature can be used for the start isolate ( The wire needs to be hot when the key is in "Start" only.

On the Surepower 1315 is the “start signal” terminal the same as the “start assist” you’re referring to?

Also, is the “start isolate” one of the wires on the BlueSea 7622?

I generally would run 2 awg, 4 would get you by, but if you have diesel, or a large house battery bank moving to 2 awg would be beneficial.

Yes, I have a 7.3 diesel. And the old Surepower is wired with 4 awg to the starting battery. I can switch that to 2 awg. Should the cable to the second starting battery also be 2 awg. And, should the cable to the house battery also be 2 awg?

The switch is definitely beneficial, I generally like to mount up front where it can be used by driver, your milage may very.

What do you mean “your milage may very.”?

I am not sure about the black orange tracer wire you referenced. That was on the old isolator correct, what did you do with it when installing the 1315?

Regarding the black orange tracer wire - I followed the directions for installing the Surepower 1315…
“Remove remaining two (2) wires on terminal #1 and terminal A (should be black with orange tracer) cut off terminals, strip insulation and crimp new splice connector supplied.”
I have no idea what this was about, I just did it.

I’m trying to wrap my head around your relay suggestion.

Again many thanks for your time and patience,

Johnny
dogtubs is offline   Reply With Quote