Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #321
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,783
This thread is worse than a weekly TV series where they leave you hanging at the end of each show, making sure you tune in for the next installment. At least we don't normally have to wait a week between updates, but the suspense is killing me.
__________________

__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #322
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
This thread is worse than a weekly TV series where they leave you hanging at the end of each show, making sure you tune in for the next installment. At least we don't normally have to wait a week between updates, but the suspense is killing me.


The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
__________________

__________________
-Eric

2010 Chevy AWD home build
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #323
Senior Member
 
BajaSportsmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,952
I have to ask...

All of that material was removed from the cross member by QuadVan to allow the axle maximum bump travel.

I know that you have moved the axle forward a little more than and inch, so that would slightly change the potential contact points. Are you planning on reshaping the cross member for axle clearance or just increasing the ride height and lowering the bump stops?
__________________
Four time Baja 1000 winner, four time Baja 500 winner. Solo'ed the Baja 1000 to LaPaz/Cabo twice.
4-Wheeling since 1972, Desert Racing since 1989.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #324
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
I have to ask...

All of that material was removed from the cross member by QuadVan to allow the axle maximum bump travel.

I know that you have moved the axle forward a little more than and inch, so that would slightly change the potential contact points. Are you planning on reshaping the cross member for axle clearance or just increasing the ride height and lowering the bump stops?
Yes, there will be reshaping. The rear of the cross member doesn't need trimming with my axle position so I put it back to stock. The front will be reshaped from where it was with the Quadvan parts but it will be trimmed back significantly compared to stock. The axle tube will hit the front of the cross member (even trimmed back quite a ways) before anything contacts the rear. It's a tight fit but the axle stuffs up in there pretty good.

I had a thick spacer under my bump stops while I still had the Quadvan cross member parts in (with my new suspension). I'll be taking that spacer out and (hopefully) not have to use one and just go with the stock F-series bumps once things are back together. I wish I knew how much the bump stops compressed in real world use, then I could determine if I actually needed a spacer or not.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #325
Senior Member
 
BajaSportsmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I wish I knew how much the bump stops compressed in real world use, then I could determine if I actually needed a spacer or not.
It is hard to know for sure as the g-forces that could be realized are unknown.

I remove the springs and set the full weight of the vehicle on the bump stops and set clearances from there - and assume the potential for contacting the final "hard stop" in the factory bump.
__________________
Four time Baja 1000 winner, four time Baja 500 winner. Solo'ed the Baja 1000 to LaPaz/Cabo twice.
4-Wheeling since 1972, Desert Racing since 1989.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #326
Senior Member
 
BajaSportsmobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
The front will be reshaped from where it was with the Quadvan parts but it will be trimmed back significantly compared to stock. The axle tube will hit the front of the cross member (even trimmed back quite a ways) before anything contacts the rear.
The axle tube hitting the front lower lip of the cross member always seems to be the final limiting factor. If only the axle tube could fit up inside the cross member, between the front and rear lips.
__________________
Four time Baja 1000 winner, four time Baja 500 winner. Solo'ed the Baja 1000 to LaPaz/Cabo twice.
4-Wheeling since 1972, Desert Racing since 1989.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #327
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
The axle tube hitting the front lower lip of the cross member always seems to be the final limiting factor. If only the axle tube could fit up inside the cross member, between the front and rear lips.
That would be great. Probably could design and build a new cross member and make things work awesome for straight axle conversions but there'd have to be a significant bump travel gain to go to that level of work. I couldn't go up much with my cross member with the Cummins because I'm already kinda tall in the engine tunnel. I wouldn't want to lose any clearance there. Definitely don't want to move the axle back to fit in between the cross member ribs either... Even with little tires you can have clearance issues.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #328
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
This thread is worse than a weekly TV series where they leave you hanging at the end of each show, making sure you tune in for the next installment. At least we don't normally have to wait a week between updates, but the suspense is killing me.
Who am I to disappoint? Here's the latest installment...

Picked up the bellhousing adapter ring at the CNC shop today. Thing of beauty!



mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #329
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,783
Great surface finish. I wonder if they use dimond tooling or simply carbide?
__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #330
Senior Member
 
BVerhulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 192
full float vs. semi-floaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
And that in a nutshell is why in general Ford put full float axles on the passenger vans (the window weight adds up as well) and semi-floaters on the cargo vans.
I'd like to know more about this - I don't know the difference. My van is a cargo. What are the pros/cons?
__________________

__________________
Brian
2009 E-350 Lopes 55
BVerhulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Sporty

BusTalker

Turtle

rafeman
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×