Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #51

I tried flipping the bracket on the drag link so the stabilizer shaft was above the draglink. However it puts the stabilizer to close to smashing into the radiator hose and other items.

I think i will try locating a different style bracket for it.

This one appears to have a bit of an angle to it which would probably work.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #52

Swaybar links arrived today so i installed the swaybar with the new links. Also changed out all of the tierods for new MOOG parts. $406 dollars for tierods. Theres nothing left on the front of this truck to replace and it still death wobbles.

Only thing i havent done is strap a gopro underneath and drive the truck. I will do that tomorrow. Hopefully it shows something because there literally is nothing left to replace on the front of this truck.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #53

Ordered more goodies for the rig today.

I ordered the Spyntec freespin kit, kelderman dual stabilizer kit, brand new OEM ford dually spacers.

The kelderman stabilzer kit looks pretty beefy but it was also expensive. Looks like this.....
Attached Thumbnails
kelderman brackets.jpg   kelderman.jpg  
Old 09-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #54

Well one of two packages arrived. The spyntech kit comes in two seperate packages, so far only one has showed up even though they both show they were to arrive today.
I recieved the milemarker lockouts, the bearings, seals, lock nuts, stub axles. Still waiting on the wheel bearing hubs and spindles and hopefully instructions because none are in this first package.

Inspected everything i have for defects or damage.....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01879.jpg   DSC01881.jpg  
Old 09-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Theres nothing left on the front of this truck to replace and it still death wobbles.

Only thing i havent done is strap a gopro underneath and drive the truck. I will do that tomorrow. Hopefully it shows something because there literally is nothing left to replace on the front of this truck.
I think I probably mentioned this before, but given that nothing you are doing seems to be addressing the main issue, I will throw this out there again.

You seem t have a lot of leverage against that driverside mount where I show a double arrow to indicate Left to right flex.

The grey bar is an idea for a cross brace. Even if you did this temporarily t o see if it helped the problem or not you could then work on solving it with some other alternate bracing (assuming this is the issue).
Attached Thumbnails
SMB_4WD_stiffner.jpg  
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #56

I might have to try something like that if this free spin kit and steering stabilizer kit dont resolve the issue. I have to build a new style tracbar for the rear of the truck as well because the truck sits alot higher now and the rear trac bar doesnt have enough length to compensate for the added height.

I will most likely just remove the rear air suspension system and go back to a rear leaf spring suspension once this death wobble is resolved.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #57

Finally got the death wobble sorted out. Turns out the alignment shop guy had no idea what he was doing. The caster was no place near where it needed to be. Apparently he installed the sensors on the wheels improperly resulting in incorrect readings.

I have a new steering box arriving tomorrow as well as a new hellwig front swaybar. Got the spyntec kit installed as well as the kelderman steering stabilzer kit. Finally some progress being made. I will be so glad to be finished with the front axle swap so i can move on to reworking the rear suspension and then drop it off at the transmission shop for a tranny rebuild and a transfer case.

Note the freespin kit and the mile marker locking hubs. 2021 Dodge Ram 3500 wheels on a Ford E-350 super duty.

Took it for a drive and couldnt be happier with the ride quality in comparison to the old twin I-beam suspension. Night and day difference consdering how heavy this truck is.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01920.jpg   DSC01923.jpg  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #58

Glad you got it sorted out. I did not mention caster before because I would have assumed that was being dealt with although I have no idea how the 4WD affects the wide range that the factory specifies.

Generally, it is understood the more the caster the better but the sign is also important LOL.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #59

Well i paid the alignment shop to align it for me because i dont have that equipment. I assumed they knew what they were doing. But when i noticed that the axle was rotated so far that the shock mounting brackets were nearly hitting the shocks i realized something was not correct with what i was seeing. The shock bushings were completely distorted because they were forced sideways when the guy rotated the axle adjusting the caster.

Clearly he had no idea what he was doing and i can only assume he installed the alignment sensors on the wheels imcorrectly resulting in faulty readings.

Needless to say im not very pleased with them and wont be returning.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #60

There are some relatively inexpensive tools (<$200) for measuring caster.

I have had my own bouts of wheel wobble that did not seem to ever go away, but with a front damper and newer tires, it has been reduced. Otherwise all stock 97 E-350.

I'm going to be raising the suspension and worry if I'm not going to aggravate the issues again and am prepared (mentally at least) for adding the caster bushing.