Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Problem With Camburg

FWIW....Camburg has a really good reputation around here in So Cal. Their facilities and staff looked very professional and knowledgeable. Like what I said in my previous post, I will go with Camburg once I'm ready for my rig's lift. I would trust those guys at Camburg to install their OWN lift rather than the guys at 4wheel parts. My 2Cents. Good luck Mac.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #32

Uh.... THat's a no brainer. Do what the wife wants. Any suspension or driving problem you ever have after doing the kit will forever be your fault because you didn't listen to her.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #33

Problem With Camburg

Ya I agree. They will do a good job man! Their reputation is on the line here.... After all you have gone thru with them, the last thing they are going to do is half ass you're lift?

As you can see Jerry (Camburg) does post here..and that says a lot to me about a company that will come on a forum and answer questions and address problems? Let Camburg do the lift!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #34

I like the idea of bent beams over drop brackets for the ground clearance and not having a drop pitman arm.

Does a drop pitman arm change the steering wheel turns to wheel movement ratio?

With the Bent Beam option, is there a risk that an I-Beam could fail? What would a person do if that happened? Could you just make a call and order another? Would you have to order 2 at a time or are they all the same once bent? I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere and have that happen.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
With the Bent Beam option, is there a risk that an I-Beam could fail? What would a person do if that happened? Could you just make a call and order another? Would you have to order 2 at a time or are they all the same once bent? I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere and have that happen.
That has been discussed before on this site and the concensus was the bent I-beam are safe as stock.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #36

Mike, I didn't ask if it was safe.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I'm guessing a failed I -Beam can be a safety issue as well.
......But a good question about ordering a replacement.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350

If it were my van, I would never consider bent arms. That completely changes the geometry of the front suspension and steering, and also raises the roll center. While this will make the van have less body roll than one with brackets, it also means vehicle rollover will be more abrubt, be unpredictable (from a driver feel point of view). Another side effect is you get more tire scrub in bounce than stock, which can cause bump steer whenever the tires don't have equal traction.

And... Camburg blatantly ignores the warnings cast right into the arms with say "Do not heat or weld." They claim they haven't had any problems, but I wouldn't trust them on my van, unless I saw their engineering analysis and heat treatment procedure.

Camburg bends your existing arms. They do not stock new arms.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #39

If anybody knows how to install a Camburg, it's Camburg. The guys on the line aren't going to care/know about any issues you've had, and Camburg isn't hurting that bad giving you this (you save $800 but less comes out of their overhead). If X+Y+Z puts you back in the black for happiness with getting the Camburg done, then so be it. That's their goal obviously, win-win.

But, put me down in the "agree with your wife" category anyway.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #40

It sounds like you are a victim of third party miscommunication. I had my van lifted by Camburg and I have nothing but positive things to say. Would do it again without thinking twice about it. If you are getting your stuff installed by Camburg you can't go wrong, especially if they are giving you a break because of any issues you have already had. In my opinion you should take the van and wife to Camburg and let Jerry talk to you guys to put you at ease. Then go to D-land or whatever and have a great time with your wife while you wait for your van. I know you will be very happy with the van once it is done. The bent beam lift is the way to go for a 2WD for sure.
ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote