Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec_n_em View Post
Hi MikeWithered,

Thanks for your thoughtful post this morning!

I'm some 2 months into using these folks, https://optimustracker.com/ , in the spirit of buy, try, and decide. So far so good.

Can I trouble you for any thoughts on Optimus I can cook into my "decide?"

Thanks!

Best,

Em -
I've never heard of this company but I am familiar with the devices they're using. I've worked with that manufacturer quite a bit in the past. I think the units are reliable. so as long as you got a LTE device, you should be in good shape.

KICKYRIDE.COM - DIY remote start & security kits
mikewithered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #52

I went to Ravelco.com and emailed them at
help-info@ravelco.com

As far as I know this is the real company.
ianskelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
I've hidden an Apple Airtag in ours and installed the Cyclops Antitheft system, and while neither are the end all of security measures, for a total of 5 minutes of work and ~$150 they definitely provide some additional peace of mind.
Two great ideas. Thank you!
Since my van is parked in a secure area when I’m home and is rarely left unattended for very long when on the road I think this is what I’m doing with the addition of a hood lock.
Thank you again everyone for sharing your solutions to a problem that seems to be getting worse with every forum email.
campIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #54

They do sell for self installation, there is a location on their website that shows dealers & distributers. If you can't find one in your area you email them for info. I received the same letter from them. While the system is antiquated, this company has been selling the same thing since 1976, so they haven't changed much.

While there no refunds, no return policy is harsh, you at this point should know what you are purchasing, there is nothing fancy about this item. It would be easy to 100% test before shipping, so I don't think they expect defects. The same letter still states it is guaranteed for life. I sent them a cashiers check, I didn't have to give them any information other than my shipping information. I mailed it out and about a week and half later it showed up as advertised. Since we are now slowing down the USPS, it might take a little longer.

As I said previously, if you give them information on the vehicle you are installing, they will provide installation information for that vehicle. In the case of the Jeep I installed it on that came in Circuit, Location, and wire color. There was no detailed diagrams or anything, so would have to have some basic electrical and wiring experience.

Would I have done it had I just come across their website, or received some suspect email sending me there ,No. I followed the instructions on the letter and can say I am a happy customer.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #55

For folks who would like to fabricate their own Ravelco type system, the link below shows the plugs they likely use. It would be a simple matter to solder wires to the back of the female, in dash plug and then solder jumpers to the matching male plug that will connect between the pins you attach the wires to. Total investment would be under $50 if you include some armored wires and some sort of cover for the plug. Should you attempt this make sure that the plug you select is capable of carrying the current of what ever device you choose to interrupt.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-20...RoCp4kQAvD_BwE
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #56

Thanks again MikeWithered, much appreciated. And yup, it's the LTE version I'm experimenting with.

I've been using the 1-month battery/USB-C charge port version with the waterproof magnetic case option.

I've placed it in various positions in and outside the van, as well as in various spots in the engine compartment with various results as one would expect. Still playing around with it, and haven't "decided" and gone to conclusion yet on where to place it or whether to purchase the "wired" version.

As I mentioned before, so far so good, and it operates as advertised.

So thanks for the vote of confidence regarding the manufacturer of the hardware; the physical build quality of the unit I have is good.

Best,

Em
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #57

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Ordered Ravelco yesterday, the called this morning to see if I was available and it was installed in two hours.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #58

I too just ordered a Ravelco this morning and was offered an install for tomorrow.

I know customer service can be hit or miss, that said, for me, it was an impressive customer service experience dealing with Ravelco today.

I started the online order, called Ravelco's number to ask about the details of how the install works as their website is lacking in this explanation, call answered by Samatha "Sam" on 3rd ring, knowledgeable/competent, said she'd call me back after I finished the online order to schedule me up (offered to do it over the phone, I declined, just easier for me to enter data online), said I was busy most of the day, but give a call later or tomorrow, she called back end of day offering me a late end of day install tomorrow or a day of my choosing.

Pushed the date out; will post up how the install goes.

And again, thank you to all on this forum that provide such thoughtful and valuable advice!

I know you've heard that before, but for us novice SMB, truck, and just general vehicle knowledge challenged folks, your guidance, and more importantly, your time is much appreciated.

Best,

Em -
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskelley View Post

I emailed Ravelco and here is the conversation I had with them.
----------
I emailed them too and had much the same conversation. They tried to refer me to a dealer in Idaho. When I informed him that Idaho happens to be a large state and that it was a 530 mile drive (one way). I was sent the same .pdf document. It appears they will sell direct to consumer if a dealer is not nearby.

There seems to be some similarity between the guy’s last name and the company name. I suspect he’s just short because so many people email. Not a good excuse, but it seems like the situation. I do believe he’s legitimate and not a scammer.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by campIV View Post
Since my van is parked in a secure area when I’m home and is rarely left unattended for very long when on the road I think this is what I’m doing with the addition of a hood lock.
If you come across a link for a hood lock for ‘08+ style vans would you let us know?

I didn’t find much besides the jimmy jammer version, which looks a bit on the thin side.

https://jimmijammer.com/Product,%20Hood%20Guard.html