Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2023, 05:11 AM   #161

A couple more things off the to do list.

First, I have had the TV mounted for a while. It is an LG - 27" Class LED Full HD Smart TV with webOS. Our primary activity will be via streaming, so it is a good fit. The main view will probably be toward the back bed platform. But it can also be seen from the front seats. While the mounting arm is pretty strong, I wanted some way to hold it down. When I designed the cabinet, I decided to make a storage area for the TV.
Here you can see the cabinet holding the lighting controls, a small storge area and a place to park the TV.

In the above photo the TV screen is towards the back of the van. You cab see the straps and padded board. This is to hold the TV down when in route.

You can of course quickly unlatch the straps to move the TV into position.

Or from the back of the van.

We also finished up a couple more doors. The first one was for the important bathroom supplies.

I also finished up the remaining doors on the driver side cabinets.

I started the day by washing the van. I took a quick measurement for my clearance sticker.

And got the propane tank filled using my remote fill for the first time.

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 10:02 PM   #162

Very nice work as always!
coloradoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:15 PM   #163

Ramblings from the road

This was not really a camping trip, but one to see family. Since they are 3000 miles away it seemed like a good trip for the Transit. I have other relatives along the way so, I could stop in and say high along the way. We would “camp” along the way. I use the term camp loosely, because in many cases that meant pulling into a rest stop for the night. I would say this was our first trip with everything completed, well for now (Is it ever completed?). We found we had an abundance of storage, now we just need to find the proper location for things.

The first thing I checked out was charging the batteries on the road. One of the last big modifications was installing a second alternator and a Wakespeed controller. I had been testing it the last couple of weeks but never had a real long drive charge to completion test. One of the previous mods was to install a Stick PC and run a version of my old SMB status program. This would allow me to use the rear-view camera, and monitor the output of the Wakespeed controller, Battery SOC, Temperature, and such. I had some issues with the video capture, but the data display worked well.

The Alternator/Controller worked great, I had a charge profile that took not quite to 100% SOC, and it would complete. I could turn the charge on and off from the driver seat. I started the trip at about 53% SOC, I have a 555 Amp-hr. battery. I have the charge set at 140 amps, add a little solar and it is a pretty good charge rate. It didn’t take long to bring the battery to full charge (well more like 99%). I stopped it before it was complete, but it was only about two hours.

With the battery fully charged, it was time for our first rest stop. Being older we must get out and walk around a bit, we also need to have more coffee. This is where the high roof Transit excels, I hop into the back, get out the Keurig Mini and brew a couple of cups of coffee. I am up for making coffee just about anyway, this ends up be simple and fast we generally use San Francisco Bay Coffee Pods, because the better for the environment. The Victron Multiplus II inverter worked fantastically and performed it duties. Depending on the rest stop, I might just use my own bathroom. While it is just a Thetford Curve Porta Poti, being able to fully stand up and not have to pull anything out makes it convenient.

Back on the road, the process is repeated substituting lunch for coffee, and of course the gas stops. The rig got about 15 miles a gallon on the way out. This was down a bit from previous trips, but that was Van Compass lift kit and the full weight of the completed build out. Being this was a trip to see family we pushed the daily milage and ended up east of Livingston Montana when we pulled into a rest stop. We didn’t even cover the windshield, just hopped in the back, and went to sleep.

The next day we diverted to go see the Devil Tower Monument. We pretty much repeated the process except we stopped a little earlier and used a KOA, not really my thing but they always have clean restrooms and showers, so they are good for travel. Talking to the owner, he had some overflow spots for travelers, power hook up only. I told him I didn’t even need that, so he said he could set me up at a tent site. All worked well.

Again, we repeated the process, spent a couple of days outside Buffalo, NY visiting my mother, then went to Beaver Falls, NY to visit my wife’s 90 year old uncle and his kids. After a good day of family bonding, we started working our way back towards Sodus Point NY. We stopped along the way and found a campsite on Ontario Lake outside Oswego NY. There was a nice soft serve ice cream place across the street, so we substituted ice cream for dinner.

We had been in the Canadian smoke most of the trip, so this was a clear night, and it was great to wake up on the lake.

After that we made it to a small marina that is located, and I think part of the area my brother-in-law has a lake cottage. It pretty much had a few sites for overnight campers. It worked out because of the proximity to my brother-in-law’s cottage, and it was on the lake.

After a nice visit with in-laws, we started our journey back west, we stopped for a break at the Rock & Roll Hall of fame and continued to push towards Iowa. We started to run into warmer weather, more specifically warmer nighttime tempos, so it was a perfect time to test the Air-conditioner running off the battery. The unit is very quiet (I used to have a Starcool in my old van), It quickly cooled the van down, and made sleeping comfortable. I could hear the Inverter a bit when the compressor kicked in, but it never needed the blower to come on. In the morning the battery was at 48% SOC, which was reasonable. When we hit the road, I quickly invoked the second alternator and charged the house battery back up in a couple of hours. This was a process that was a process that I used a couple of times the rest of the trip.

In Iowa I stopped to see my dad, he is in an extended care facility and not doing very well. It was a good visit, but certainly not a pick me up. We pushed on into Nebraska on our way home. We decided to divert to the Tetons to play around for the day on.

Other than the crowds, the Tetons were an uplifting experience. That night we decided to use the built-in shower, we were both getting a little gamey. I stopped for about an hour before we were going to camp and turned on the hot water heater. The Truma Combi eco has multiple power settings. While driving propane was off the table, but I could use all electric mode. I put it in the low power electric mode. I watched it pull the power down some and then invoked the 2nd alternator, it of course had enough to carry the load as we drove. The water was plenty hot, I removed the porta potty to make a little more room. We had a refreshing shower and were ready for bed. I left the water heater on all night with little impact to the battery SOC.

The next morning started with the coffee ritual and then hit the road. At a rest stop 120 miles a way we fired up the microwave and made some Jimmy Dean Egg’Wich’s for breakfast. Coming through the Columbia Gorge was as beautiful as usual. Later that day we pulled into our driveway in Beaverton completing the 6385-mile journey.

All the systems on the van worked very well. The Insty-Connect consistently pulled in some bandwidth that wasn’t there with just phones. This is still a pretty good interim solution, the final being starlink for data service.
We found the RIB Scopema Altair 3P to be very comfortable in bed mode. We did find it difficult to return to a seated position and may look for a different solution in the future.

The game changer for me has been the 2nd alternator/Wakespeed controller charging option. While having a large lithium battery bank is great, it still needs to be recharged, this makes that an easy task on the road.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:53 AM   #164

Nice Greg! Glad everything worked out well for you. AC overnight using battery with 50% available still the next morning is a dream.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:34 PM   #165

That sounds like an awesome trip! We are planning to head east to see family as soon as our van is done too. My daughter is in Burlington VT and my GF's son lives in Manhattan. We also plan to just burn a lot of days along the route taking our time. I just got my Starlink and I will be working from the road.

The way that you describe van travel is exactly why I wanted one. No plans... who cares. You always have a nice place to sleep and a good cup of coffee. What more does anyone need in life!

I am jealous of your 500ah battery and AC! Mega luxury : )
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:15 AM   #166

Rear Seat/Bed Platform

I am surprised I haven’t covered this already. It was one of the first purchase for the build, and has actually been in the van for a while. Many times on the Transits and Sprinters you see a bed platform that creates a garage area underneath for all the goodies to carry. We went with Scopema Altair #P-3 seat for the more traditional rear seat. At the time my wife was thinking of grand kids, but we have been informed by both kids, that is not in their plans. We choose the 1290mm wide version, just for a little more room. It did make it that much more difficult to put between the two wall cabinets. This thing is built like a tank, and heavy.

Here we are in traditional seat mode.

There is plenty of storage underneath, although it is somewhat blocked when the bed is down. One design issue I ran into was the side handle foe locking and unlocking the front and rear partitions. I needed to recess my side cabinet to make it more accessible.

Now we move to the bed platform, the front flips over, the back comes down and we now have a bed. We keep our bed role behind the seat partition. We use an RV superbag, it is a double sleeping bag with sheets that held in with Velcro. We got the upgraded 750 thread count sheets, for maximum comfort. The dual bag has a summer side and a winter side.

And this is my wife’s favorite mode, lounge mode. We can easily bring the back up for TV watching and even dip the front for more comfort.

Comfort? On this last trip we did not use our Klymit Double V insulated on top, and were very comfortable.

And on the last trip the single most important sleep aid was the Air Conditioner

Old 08-19-2023, 06:58 PM   #167

Nice looking rig Greg - glad you had a "good drive" and returned home safe ! Sorry for bugging you while on the road !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:08 AM   #168

The Office/Dinette

Russ, no problem if I have access and time. That is a good segue to this post.

I’ve joked with friends that the front and back of the extended Transit have their own zip codes. One way of maximizing that for my layout was the use of swivel seats. My 2020 Transit came with factory installed swivel seats, and a drop-down emergency break handle, so it does not get in the way of the swivel.

The big focus of my layout was to provide a computer work area and small dinette for eating meals inside if needed. I am a habitual early morning riser, so having a place to fire up the laptop and enjoy a cup a coffee. So luckily with this setup, I am about as far away from the sleeping wife as I can be in the same van.

The heart of the Office/Dinette is the Lagun Table Leg Systems, this allows me to have a multi position table that easily can be changed or stored away. I mounted the standard bracket on the corner of the shower, this allows the table to be stored in office mode.

When the seat is in the driving position, the table does not prevent the seat from moving back.

When laying out the office I provided a Blue Sea 12V/USB outlet along with an AC 110 receptacle. I Have a 12V to 19V DC charger for my laptop. The USB charger handles phones, earbuds, etc. I have two 8”x16” Net Storage pockets to store mouse, laptop, etc.

The view of the office from the back of the van.

The next important part is dinette mode, here we swing the table out so both seats can have access. I will probably look at a expandable top, as it is a little small for this purpose but very doable.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:39 AM   #169

Garage
Nice, well done Greg.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #170

I'm installing the Nations alternator as well. I'm running the wire right now from the battery bank to the front of the van. I'm struggling on how to get it through the engine compartment. Can you share any details on that?
BTW - great job on posting details on your build.
Edgrn is offline   Reply With Quote